Featured post

26 Mar 2020

2020 A-Z challenge

Two women in a rural setting in Devon, UK
My cousin and I in Tavistock, Devon
Being housebound like most other Australians - we all know why - I have decided to take up a blogging challenge during the month of April 2020. I will try and write something about my English agricultural labourer and seafaring ancestors every day except Sundays.  I wonder how I'll go?

I would appreciate comments which could help me improve my posts and broaden my readership. With this in mind, maybe some of you could subscribe? I generally put a link on Facebook when I post something, and generally get some nice comments from friends - especially genie friends, but helpful marketing responses are in short supply.

Like many other Australian born seniors from the late 40s, my heritage is Anglo-Saxon, mostly from the south of England.  Many of my ancestors on both my parents' sides were agricultural labourers or seafarers in either the Royal Navy or the merchant marine.  On my mother's side, they were mostly from Kent.  On my father's side, they lived in rural Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset and Wiltshire before converging in Southampton between 1795 and 1850.

I shall try and bring them to life by describing their personal circumstances, their villages and ports in the 17th and 18th centuries. Sometimes I will link to other posts in earlier blogging projects. I have been blogging on and off since 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment